Who is the course for?
- Stress engineers
- Structural designers
- Test engineers
- Engineering managers
- All kind of comparable functions
Why join the course?
This course gives an overview of the many aspects of high cycle fatigue in metallic structures. Understanding of (possible) causes of a fatigue crack is the main focus such that the student will be able to recognize, analyse and prevent fatigue problems.
Fatigue cracks and failures due to alternating stresses often appear unexpected and can cause a large amount of damage, human as well as material and financial (e.g. liability). The share of fatigue damages of the total amount of mechanical damages is substantial so managing fatigue related problems in an appropriate way is essential.
A fatigue failure may have different causes, such as the material quality, production process and possible mistakes, structural (detail) design, erroneous use of strength and reliability analysis, underestimation of the load spectrum and abuse of the product.
It is obvious that many aspects do affect the resistance against fatigue. Managing, analysing and preventing problems due to fatigue should be considered as a key capability of a structural engineer.
What is in it for you?
In 2 days, following topics will be discussed:
- Fatigue of materials – mechanism & phenomena
- Stress concentration factors, local plastic deformations and residual stresses
- Influence of surface condition, surface treatment and corrosion
- Fatigue properties of materials (fatigue limits, S-N curves, fatigue diagrams, notched and un-notched specimens)
- Fatigue loads and load spectra
- Fatigue under variable amplitude loading (cumulative damage rules, interaction effects)
- Fatigue life analysis
- Fretting, fatigue of joints
- Scatter & reliability
- Design against fatigue: do’s & dont’s
Participants will get the book “Guidelines for Fatigue Life Analysis” for free!
Who will you learn with?
Johannes Homan (MSc), Fatec Engineering
How to join this course?
Fatec Engineering offers the possibility of customized in-company courses, e.g. a customized selection of topics and/or customized mixture of class training and webinars. After all, the course that fits your daily needs will be the most appropriate for you. With a customized in-company course you can select the topics that meet your requirements the best.